Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Oddest Cover You've Never Seen--Superman Family #212 (1981)

On first glance, it seems like just another overcrowded cover to an anthology title...

Wait...what the hell is going on with that sidebar on the left?

What? The? Heck?

Let me assure you: the interior of this issue in no way, shape or form has Jimmy or Lois or Clark jogging, or wearing jogging clothes. It just ain't there! (Lois does get naked and toss hand grenades, though!

So why did Ross Andru & Dick Giordano decide to have the trio "jogging your way this issue"?? Or was it and editorial mandate from Julie Schwartz and/or E. Nelson Bridwell?

Perhaps they thought jogging's early 80s popularity would encourage readers to plop down a buck...?

I won't be able to sleep now, not knowing what the hell this was about...

3 comments:

SallyP said...

If I saw Clark or Lois lumbering my way, I would scream and run.

Dr. Theda said...

interesting...
Rather "odd"... a great day to you good Sir...

B Smith said...

Ross Andru? At first glance I thought it was Walt Simonson's work.