Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Avengers Covers Of John Buscema!

You know who the greatest Avengers cover artist of all time was?


John Buscema, that's who.


His covers were on mega-doses of caffeine--everyone always moving, often towards the reader, windows being smashed, every characters' every muscle vibrating with energy.



Even when the Avengers are "just standing around," they're in motion--reacting, preparing to leap into action.





Buscema took a several month break from the Avengers (save for this cover):

But soon he was back with a vengeance!











That's a hell of a run.

In many ways, Buscema was the perfect complement to Roy Thomas' writing, as Roy always had the Avengers arguing, fighting, ready to leap into action in a nano-second. And Buscema was able to capture that, doubling that nervous energy.

John Buscema's Avengers covers--appreciate them today!!

2 comments:

Joe Jusko said...

Couldn't agree more.

SallyP said...

The very first comic book that I bought with my own money was a John Buscema Avengers... and I was hooked. Then I got into Thor and then into Conan... mainly because I loved his art as a young teen. Needless to say, I still do.