Saturday, November 24, 2012

Bold Fashion Choices--PUT ON SOME CLOTHES!!

We're here today to discuss the phenomenon that is plaguing comics: artists showing characters in ridiculously skimpy outfits--nearly naked, really--just to titillate their audience.

Take, for example, Atlas The Mighty:

Well, I didn't say plaguing comics today...

But back to our near-naked hero. Not only is Atlas "dressed" in a way that no male would ever actually dress in public, but our artist could resist no opportunity to deliberately give us ass-shots:





And in the very same issue, we're given:

I like the little cravat/mini-cape thing around his neck...as if that make him any less uncomfortably-nearly-naked.

But they give us LOTS of Fire-Eater, barely dressed, in anatomically-unlikely poses, just treating him like an object:






And of course...

You can't pass up the opportunity to have our hero, basically in his birthday suit, pulling a couple of massive fire hoses...Oh, Frederic Wertham, you were right all along...

So my message for the Golden Age? PUT ON SOME DAMN CLOTHES!!!

All panels from Choice Comics #1 (1941). Just be glad I didn't include any scenes from the Zomba Jungle Fighter story...

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I...I don't understand! You seem to think that thinly-clad male ass shots are a BAD thing!

Martin Gray said...

I'm with Sally, revive these characters now!