Sunday, April 1, 2012

In The Future, We're ALL In A Mighty Convoy!

Archie is quite spoiled by his parents:

"That space movie?" This is a 1978 story...I do so wonder what movie they could possibly be referring to? Personally, I hope it's Laserblast.

But I digress. The point is, Archie's obsessed with the sci-fi, so of course when panel 1 has him in bed, you know we're getting a dream sequence. So the question is, when the mighty mind of Archie Andrews is allowed to dream freely about the 24th century, with no restrictions, what is the absolute pinnacle of human technology that he can foresee?

Yes, 300+ years from now, we will all have CB Wrist Radios. How I wish I could live to see the day...

Of course, this is merely the continuation of Archie Comics 1978 fascination with the CB radio phenomenon. Hey, it was the killer app of the Carter Administration days, what can I say?

Anyhoo, Archie had several other predictions about the future, including...

Mmmm, food in pill form! Also...


You'd think that Weatherbee would be sensitive about being called "Big Principal." Just how large can you get on food pills, anyway?

From Archie And Me #101 (1978)

1 comment:

Sina said...

The timing is off, because it didn't come out until 1979, but based on Arch's little robot stuffy on the right-hand side of the page, I would've guessed that the "space movie" in question was 'The Black Hole' by Disney...that plushie toy looks quite a lot like the robot V.I.N.Cent from that film.

PS: You know Jack 'King' Kirby drew an adaptation of that film for Disney too, right? :)