Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tales From The Quarter Bin--Things I Never Expected To See

One of the best things about the Quarter Bin is that in can be a cheap way to catch up on all the comics I missed during my 3+ years absence from comics.

And amongst those things I missed, was this scene that I never expected to see:

Let's call out 3 things in particular. A)

A costume of Namor's that I had never seen before. And it's kind of...well...interesting.

This one apparently didn't last too long. Namor, upon returning from the Heroes Reborn universe, had developed a "strange malady" that had prevented him from breathing underwater, and this armor was the temporary cure.

Please note this more prosaic, super-heroey version from the cover of Marvel Team-Up #9 (1998):

For most of that volume of Marvel Team-Up, it was actually a Sub-Mariner book. Another thing I did not know!

B) A sentence that I never expected to hear anyone, let alone Namor, say:

At least, I never expected it outside of a Looney Tune or something.

All of you have homework now: use this phrase at work or school tomorrow!!

And C) I really never expected this when I grabbed this comic out of the Quarter Bin:

Howard The Duck trapped within the remains of a dead Man-Thing. (Don't worry, Man-Thing got better). You just don't see Howard in too many "mainstream" Marvel books, but there he is--"teaming up" with Namor!!

And that's all from just one page!!

The Quarter Bin, folks--by far America's best entertainment/information value!!

From Man-Thing #7 (1998)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way that Namor's calves were bigger than his thighs, his hands were not naturally, clasping that object and the strange cod piece, I could have sworn that was liefeld.

snell said...

Nope, it's Liam Sharp.

SallyP said...

Consider my mind well and truly boggled.